Thursday, August 21, 2008

Lauding ‘cathartic’ effect of roll-call vote, Rendell to cast his convention vote for Clinton

by PUMAinPA
Written by: Dan Hirschhorn

With devotees of defeated U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) relishing the chance to publicly back her one more time during a roll-call vote at the Democratic convention next week, Clinton's largest backer in Pennsylvania says that he too will take the opportunity to cast his vote for Clinton.

Gov. Ed Rendell, in an interview with PolitickerPA.com today, lauded the resolution reached last week that will allow Clinton's name to be placed in nomination, before U.S. Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) ultimately accepts the party's presidential nomination.

"I think Sen. Obama was extremely generous, and I think it's good not because it will display any disunity, but because it honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," said Rendell, who was one of Clinton's most visible and vociferous campaigners during the run-up to the state's April primary. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them.

"I think it will have the cathartic effect that both Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama are hoping to have," he added.

Rendell, who was widely credited with helping deliver the almost 10-point victory here that Clinton enjoyed, said he would cast his vote for Clinton as part of that symbolic closure.
"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

In the days leading up to-and during-the Democratic convention next week in Denver, PolitickerPA.com will continue to track how Pennsylvania delegates plan to cast their ballots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can use some HTML tags: <b>, <i>, <a>

OUR Party made Roll Call a joke with Obama winning majority of Delegates in States that Hillary won!